Thursday, September 8, 2011

Getting busy...in the kitchen!

Used a new-found recipe today for Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce for lunch today.  Made bowtie pasta with tomatoes as a bed for oven-baked pre-breaded chicken patties.  I'm a recipe bug and collect the like crazy but need to work on implementing more of them more often!  This sauce was pretty basic but could be kicked up with a little more spice.  It's cream cheese, butter, milk, and garlic and I'm guessing they meant garlic powder, which is what I used, and know that next time I'll definitely be using freshly minced to flavor, and maybe a generous teaspoon of red pepper flakes and possibly some black pepper, too.  Since they suggested using for pasta or chicken my brain went "Both!"  I think it turned out pretty well and will keep it around to use again in the future.  I didn't use 6 Tablespoons worth of butter, less, maybe 4, but I think it turned out fine.  My current new-found addiction of Pinterest and seeing other people's food pins is netting me some really good cooking ideas that I'd like to try.  The only problem is that we can't always get everything a recipe calls for so would have to substitute but once we settle into our new apartment (which I have pictures of and we've started moving boxes into! Second blog today...) we'll be surrounded by a bigger variety of grocery stores and I'm sure we'll be able to find most everything we need one way or another.  But here's the recipe for the sauce, feel free to use and abuse and if you make any variations and it comes out good, let me know!  I'm interested to know what works for you!  



Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce


8 ounces cream cheese (I used herb flavored)
6 teaspoons butter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic

Directions: Melt together cream cheese and butter in a saucepan over low heat until smooth and creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir in milk and garlic. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Add the cheese in the last minute and stir briskly. Season with garlic powder and pepper. Serve over chicken or pasta.

Enjoy!  
Allie H.

No comments:

Post a Comment