Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hummus!!

I love hummus.  It's delicious, full of flavor ad kick, depending on how spicy you choose to make it, it's totally healthy, and did I mention how delicious it is?  I've made it once before and I love it when I get healthy food cravings because I usually look for something like this, instead of a bag full of potato chips covered in grease.  (I still give in to those cravings, of course!)  But I went back to my once-tried and true recipe from this site full of cheap recipes, http://penniesonaplatter.com.  They've got everything from honey mustard sauce to desserts.  At any rate, here's their recipe.


Homemade Hummus
1 (14 oz) can chick peas or garbanzo beans
1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste) or natural peanut butter, stirred well
2 1/2 TBSP lemon juice, preferably fresh (no plastic container!)
2 TBSP olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 cloves garlic, peeled (I went ahead and minced with my handy garlic press)
1/2 tsp salt
A pinch of cayenne pepper
Drain and rinse the beans/peas, reserve 1/3 cup of the liquid to use in the recipe.  The recipe said to place all ingredients in the blender bowl, save for the beans/peas and process until well blended, but I just tossed everything in and turned on the blender until I got my desired consistency, stopping halfway as the recipe suggested to add a bit more salt and cayenne as desired.  Cover with plastic and let sit for at least 30 minute (I just left mine uncovered for 45 minutes or so before digging in today.)  Traditionally, you drizzle it with extra olive oil once it's in the serving platter you chose to use, but I don't think it needs it if you're going to just munch it right out of the bowl (like me!)  


It's a better choice than the traditional packet on onion soup powder and a container of sour cream, or the tub of salsa fresca from the deli (not that these two options aren't good, but hummus is just different!)  Feel free to steal the recipe-it couldn't be easier, there's tons of variations like red-pepper hummus or zucchini hummus, and you can serve it with chips crackers, veggies, warm pita triangles, whatever!  Enough kitchen pretty talk...I'm going to head into the kitchen for another helping.
Happy Snacking,
Enjoy!


Allie H.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment